I got back home from Italy late last night, and discovered a letter in my mailbox containing a start number and timing chip for the Mersey Tunnel 10k race earlier this morning. I guess that is some kind of appointment so I got up early to meet M near Moorfields station where the start was located. Here is an image just before the start:
Some 2500 runners participated in this point-to-point run, whose crux is one of the two tunnels under the Mersey River. The trick is to tackle the hill back out of the tunnel, which brings you up to the 5km mark. Given that it is still reasonably early in the race, everybody says that it is important not to tackle the hill too fast so that you can still run the other half of the race once you get back into the sun. As it turns out, they are totally right. M and I were pushing each other on the course until I had to drop off at the end of the tunnel (and yes, the "light at the end" is a very nice thing to see, lemme tellya).
Anyway, along the route I confirmed that modern image stabilizing cameras still don't do very well when you are trying to take pictures while racing down a hill. This is an unintendedly arty looking shot of hte tunnel entrance after some 3km ... (well, not really, but I will call it that anyway for lack of a better word).
We ended up in New Brighton with thousands of people packing into a rather limited number of 3-car-trains back into town. That made for some very surprised people who did not know about the race and consequently were unable to fit on the train ...
If at all possible, we will be back next year - potentially with a car at the other end!
No comments:
Post a Comment