Tuesday, 9 August 2011

Due to the imminent collapse of society we regret to announce we are closing at 6pm tonight

So, this sign is a typically British understatement posted somewhere in Manchester where there appears to be quite a lot of trouble as I am typing this. Locally, people have been doing just that - closing early and boarding up everything that is around.

What totally astounds me is that the only business that was looted in town last night was a Tesco Express - the type of student-frequented grocery shop where you get all your stomach-rot fast food but very little fresh stuff. Or anything valuable for that matter. Yes, and maybe a few cigarettes and a little alcohol, but that was it. I know it well, as I (used to) get dinner there when I don't have time to go home ...

In other news, even though I live practically between three of the hotspots of last nights riots, there was nothing going on here and by the time I cycled to work I did not see anything unusual.

Liverpool appears reasonably quiet so far tonight, but then again it is not even 9.30 pm on day 2 of the riots in nothern England. Either way, I am staying in and trying to focus on something else than some thugs tearing apart cities in GB. Very difficult with 24/7 news coverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment