Just a bit of an update after I have not really gone travelling anywhere for a whole month (the first in 6 years!). Well, except for a bit of cycling to C's cousin on the Jubilee weekend, and an overnight trip to Oxford the day after. Those don't really count.
My new job is working out quite nicely, and unfortunately I have become one of those commuters who spends a fair amount of time in the car each day.
So, to counteract this trend and to get some change into this business, I finally acted on my threat to cycle to work today. And back. 55 km each way:
View Larger Map
Needless to say that I won't be doing the same thing tomorrow. The whole idea was helped by a colleague G who lives in St Neots - I went to his house in the morning and then we cruised to Cambridge from there. G is currently training for an iron man, so he is cycling and running a lot.
Just a quick note about my colleague - yesterday we went for a 10 km run at lunchtime, and G was feeling a bit crap (after swimming a few miles in the River Cam last week, apparently). This was demonstrated by him and another guy doing interval running training using my pace as a baseline - and I was running as fast as I could. Hrmpf. Definitely the people to go training with, hoping to keep up in a little while. So anyway, this is who I was trailing today for about 60 km, or whenever I could keep up with him. We had quite the ride....
Wednesday, 13 June 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
If you had trouble keeping up, I hate to think what would happen to me. That said, you've added motivation to try the 20km ride to work on my new bike. If only it wasn't mostly on Toronto streets, it would be a breeze!
ReplyDeleteok, how about we simply make a deal to all cycle to work on Monday? C no longer has an excuse not to it either (only 30km for her), and Monday is heaviest-traffic-day, so unless it's pouring down with rain we are both psyched to go ... B, are you up too?
ReplyDeleteI scrolled the embedded gmap and got bored before I found the "A" point... scary... I could easily die doing that. Speaking of dying, have you tried to get a compass, a fancy all-terrain and just trace a straight line from A to B and do it again ^^
ReplyDelete