Sunday, 2 August 2009

Window gardening

So, in my last place, plants had a really hard time. Those of you who have been there might remember that the only things that thrived were my cactuses, and I swear I only watered them about three times in the 2 years I was there. Everything else, well ...

This new place of mine is off to a better start, as I have ginormous living room window-sills that already had pots on them. All I had to do was plant them. Oh, and of course, C's famous garden is setting a good example - it has potatoes and tomatoes growing all over the place, a lot of them were not even knowingly planted!

On the way to IKEA on our move-in shopping trip, C&I stopped at B&Q as well and bought some flowers and some seeds. The pictures below show some of the flowers, basil, rucola, and "salad leaves" - whatever that may be. Oh, and don't forget the Chillies who appear to be getting ready to flower.


(I apologize about the quality of the pics, my mobile phone was the tool of choice as the camera required a charging job and was unavailable)

Today was the first harvest as the salad leaves are starting to crowd each other out. I experimented with replanting a few of them (second pic), but then decided that it was simpler to thin out the bunch - yum yum.

Why is this working in England and was not working in Germany? Well, it is due to the weather of course. We had an exceptionally wet July (even for English standards, according to the news), which meant that I hardly needed to water anything. With respect to my planting efforts, this is a good thing. With respect to the mood in general, maybe not. The bottom line is that you don't seem to need to do much in the Nort-West once you have your stuff in the soil. Just wait and hope that it all comes up before it gets cold again ...

No comments:

Post a Comment